Welcome to st Mary's church at horsell
Public Worship has returned to St Mary’s!
We are planning to provide a short service of Morning Prayer at 10 a.m. on Sunday mornings.
There is a restricted number of seats within the church, which we have measured according to strict 2 metre distancing. It would be helpful if you could let the Parish Office know, as soon as possible, if you are going to attend regularly. We have published both a video and written guidance about what to expect.
Face masks: we have received the following advice from the Church of England:
From this Sunday 9th August face coverings must be worn by all those attending a place of worship, including ministers, worshippers, staff, volunteers, where there may be other people present. Please provide your own facemask.
Remember that they are mainly intended to protect other people, not the wearer, and they are not a replacement for physical distancing or regular hand washing.
Note that children are the responsibility of their parents and should be seated with them throughout the service.
You may bring water with you, as another hot day is forecast. There is no access to St Andrew’s Room.
The church is also open for private prayer on Wednesdays, 11am to 4pm
For any questions please email the church office, or call Mike Couper on 01483 770920 or Pam Rowe on 01483 761625
We will be publishing resources each week to help your private worship (archive available).
Recent crafts from our Messy Church service
Resources for Sunday 9th August:
- Morning Prayer Service (we aim to publish a recording of the live sermon later on Sunday)
- JaM@Home - Peter tries walking on water
- Live your faith from ROOTS - reflections and prayers on this week's readings
- The National Service online at 9am Sunday comes from Christ Church Cambridge and is led Rev Dr Lee Gatiss, the Director of Church Society. In his sermon he will reflect on God's kindness and mercy. Tune in online at 9am or watch back afterwards
- Bishop Andrew has recorded a sermon on "A soft heart and cold feet", or you can downoad a transcript
- Both Open the Book and Rev Peter Brown (our associate minister) are publishing videos regularly (Open the Book is now fortnightly through the summer months). You can find their previous videos on the Open the Book channel and St Mary's channel respectively. Here are their most recent videos:
Morning prayer service: it will be a very hot day on Sunday, please bring your own water as there will be no access to the St Andrews room kitchen.
Collection for Peter and Elaine Brown: as many of you will already know, Peter and Elaine have decided to take up the offer of a house in Alton thanks to the Church Housing Trust. They hope to be moving early in September. Obviously we will miss them both a great deal and are very grateful for all they have done whilst being with us in Horsell. In spite of the Covid19 restrictions we can still show our appreciation by giving them a ‘virtual send-off’ with some financial help. They have to furnish their kitchen and we thought it would be appropriate to put any contributions to leaving towards that. Here are the different ways that you can contribute:
- By cheque payable to "Horsell PCC" posted or hand delivered to David Leach (Treasurer) at Holmer Bank, Bury Lane, Woking, GU21 4RR. Please write Contribution to Peter & Elaine on the back of the cheque
- By cash in an envelope marked Contribution to Peter & Elaine hand delivered to David Leach (Treasurer) at Holmer Bank, Bury Lane (the white house with a red door, third house on the right from the High Street)
- Pay directly into our account using BACS / online banking. The details are as follows:- CAF Account no. 00030023, sort code 405240, account name Horsell PCC; referencing “Peter and Elaine”.
Please make sure these are delivered before 21st August.We will bid them a fond farewell in the ‘new normal’ time, whatever and whenever that happens.
Resources for every day:
- Catch up on some previous St Mary's sermons
- Coronavirus liturgy and prayer resources, including for children
- Services of Daily Prayer to read
- Diddy Disciples - worship and storytelling resources for babies, toddlers and young children
- Use A Church Near You to find churches live streaming services
- Daily Hope phone line - 0800 804 8044 - a free phone line of hymns, reflections and prayers
If you need any assistance, or want to volunteer to help:
- For health advice, see the NHS 111 site
- Horsell Prepared can help if you are self-isolating, including meals, supplies, prescriptions and more
- Foodwise: for any in need of food due to the pandemic, locally operating out of Andy's Café at St Andrew's Goldsworth Park
- Surrey County Council have a helpline to direct you to services that can help
Registered Charity Number: 1128175
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11, St Mary's Verse of the Year
Making Jesus known : Getting to know Jesus better : Sharing Jesus' love in our world
- St Mary the Virgin
- Church hill
- GU21 4QQ